A Poem

I love this clever poem, which seems to sum up life for some of us during the first lockdown period of 2020, when it was widely circulated.

Listen to recording

A Poem

I wandered lonely as a cloud
Two metres from the madding crowd
When all at once my name was called
To enter Waitrose hallowed hall.

This was the pensioners’ special hour.
I’d gone to get a bag of flour.
But I forgot, when through the door,
What I had gone to Waitrose for.

The Waitrose staff are extra kind.
I told them it had slipped my mind.
They asked what else I had forgot
They clearly thought I’d lost the plot.

I phoned my wife again to ask.
She reminded me of this special task:
“I need some flour to bake a cake
With all that cream you made me take.”

“Ah yes I recall” I had to lie.
I dared not ask what flower to buy
But then I saw them next the tills
A bunch of golden daffodils!

Anon. 


                                     RETURN TO LIST OF POEMS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List of Poems

Epitaph to James (Acrostic Poetry competition entry 2025)

Football and the World Cup