A Poem

I love this clever poem, which seems to sum up life for some of us during the first lockdown period of 2020, when it was widely circulated.

Listen to recording

A Poem

I wandered lonely as a cloud
Two metres from the madding crowd
When all at once my name was called
To enter Waitrose hallowed hall.

This was the pensioners’ special hour.
I’d gone to get a bag of flour.
But I forgot, when through the door,
What I had gone to Waitrose for.

The Waitrose staff are extra kind.
I told them it had slipped my mind.
They asked what else I had forgot
They clearly thought I’d lost the plot.

I phoned my wife again to ask.
She reminded me of this special task:
“I need some flour to bake a cake
With all that cream you made me take.”

“Ah yes I recall” I had to lie.
I dared not ask what flower to buy
But then I saw them next the tills
A bunch of golden daffodils!

Anon. 


                                     RETURN TO LIST OF POEMS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List of Poems

Mixed Heritage

Lost Park