Preamble

 

Preamble

My name is Richard Ashen. I have only recently tried my hand at writing poetry. It started  unexpectedly  after I became a volunteer  at South Chingford Community  Library (SCCL)  in March 2012, shortly before the initial opening day. As the library developed over subsequent years, regular events appeared. From chatting with other volunteers, and after several failed attempts to start a book club, it became clear that there was an interest in poetry, and so a poetry reading group was formed, which used to meet in the library on the first Tuesday afternoon of each month, but from 2024 moved to Wednesday afternoons.

When I learnt that others had written their own poems, and some were reading theirs out, I decided to have a go myself. I describe my genre as poetry of the mundane, or kitchen sink poetry, as most of my attempts are about odd or quirky events in my routine everyday life, which I recount hoping to amuse or entertain others. 

My background is in electrical engineering and associated software. I attended the (then) Sir George Monoux Grammar School, Walthamstow in the late Middle Ages, before taking a student apprenticeship at the (then) Hawker Siddeley Power Transformers in Fulbourne Road, Walthamstow. That extensive site is now part occupied by the Frederick Bremer School and by the former Homebase store. One of the original buildings still stands, occupied presently by the Waltham Forest Council Housing Department. I have an electrical engineering first degree from University College London, and a doctorate from Imperial College London. I have worked mostly in industry, and a little in the academic world. I am now sort of semi-retired from an engineering software company. I describe my work situation as "post retirement zero hours contract worker", if such a title exists!

I became interested in poetry when I took O'Level English Literature in the 1960s. My favourite poem remains "The Listeners" by Walter De La Mare. I have a theory about the inspiration for this poem, which goes as follows. During my school holidays, I was very fortunate to get a Summer job working on the bookstalls in St. Paul's Cathedral. At that time, the replica of William Holman Hunt's famous picture "The Light of the World" was

hanging in the south aisle, facing the bookstall located there. When working on that bookstall, I sometimes had the honour of turning the (electric!) light, above the picture,  on at the beginning of the day, and off at the end. When a service was in progress, the aisle was empty, and I could stare in fascination at the picture. I know that Walter De La Mare was a pupil at St. Pauls, and believe he could have seen the picture there. It seems to me that the picture may have inspired the poem. Consider the famous first line: 

"Is there anybody there?" said the Traveller, Knocking on the moonlit door
Literary experts will no doubt know whether or not this theory is correct.

My suggestions with any poem is always to read it out loud. Then you get a proper feel for it. With me, I have to do this several times to (try to!) get the flow right, and handle the enjambment. (with acknowledgement to my friend Kay from the library who told me what enjambment means!)

I am keen to add poems from friends, relations, or any amateur poet.  So if you have any you are happy to post on this blog, then please send them to me (preferably by email to scclfeedback@gmail.com, thank you!). They must be poems you have written yourself which you are happy for anyone to read. I cannot post poems from attributed third parties. If you can send recordings of your reading of your poems as well, then that will be even better.

If in relation to SCCL or these poems you see or hear mention of "grumpy old man" or "mean grumpy old man" then do not be concerned. That will be me!

I hope you will enjoy the poems!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List of Poems

Mixed Heritage

Lost Park