With a Nod to Lewis Carroll

 LLoyd was a much cherished friend who I worked with in Harlow in the very late 70's and early 80's. He had a delightfully dry and drole sense of humour. After our ways parted, we exchanged Christmas cards. His always included a pithy comment. My favourite is "I think about you sometimes, but not very often". Sadly, he passed away at the beginning of the pandemic in 2020.
He sent me this poem in a card on the occasion of a significant birthday.

You are 60 young Richard, old Lloyd said,
and yet you have not seen the light.
You still explore old Maxwell's laws,
do you think at your age this is right?

In my youth, young Richard replied to old Lloyd,
I used to be riding my bike.
But then all injury I didst avoid
by riding on a trike.

You are 60 young Richard, as I said before,
and still imbibe the beer and wine?
But are practiced in computer lore
so I suppose at your age this is fine.

        Lloyd Garnet Knight

               RETURN TO LIST OF POEMS


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

List of Poems

Mixed Heritage

Lost Park